Thursday, February 25, 2010

26 years of livin'

I meant to publish this post before my birthday on the 11th.....I'm a little late, as always.

26 lessons in 26 years.....some I've learned, but most I'm still learning....sometimes over and over.....

1. I am blessed beyond measure. I have a family, a home, a husband, a car, a job, 10 fingers, & 10 toes. Has every moment been perfect? No. Has every situation been ideal? Absolutely not. But blessed am I.

2. There are no short cuts in life. Never. Ever. Ever. I have learned this twice in my life and I hope that I never have to learn it again. They have been two of the worst experiences/challenges I have ever had to face.

3. Karma is great (when it doesn't happen to you). I can always count on karma. It may not happen today, it may not happen this week, or this decade....but she will get you. What goes around comes around.

4. Laughing is the greatest thing in the world. Nothing better than laughing so hard you have to hold yourself. (You know you've been there...wipe that disgusted look off your face).

5. Real friends are rare.

6. It doesn't matter how big or small your home is. It doesn't matter what car you drive, or what brand of clothing you wear. If you take care of what you have, keep it nice, keep it clean, keep it organized and take some pride in it...it will be enough to keep you happy and satisfied. A huge house that is filthy does not compare to a small house that is clean.

7. Don't ever say, "Teaching Gospel Doctrine would be the worst calling in the world"... because guess what's waiting for you right around the corner? Yep, Your Bishop holding a Gospel Doctrine manual with your name written in it.

8. We get to choose whether we are happy or sad, whether it's a good day or a bad day.

9. If you want a different result, do something different. You can't follow the same path and hope for a different outcome.

10. Losing weight sucks, and it's hard. Gaining weight is easy and it tastes good.

11. Marriage takes work. Every single day.

12. Life is hilarious.....or maybe it's just so ridiculous that it is hilarious. I could write a book on this.

13. Tell the people you love that you love them. I never want to find myself in the habit of leaving the house or hanging up the phone without saying I love you to my husband.

14. I've learned to shut up. Not everyone cares what I have to say....just like I don't always care what other people have to say. Sometimes it's best to nod and smile (while thinking omg are they serious?! )

15. Why are other people's kids so annoying? Mine will never be annoying =0)

16. Keep in touch with the people that have made an influential impact on your life.....and tell them that. Isn't it nice to hear you've enriched someone else's life?

17. Utah drivers are the most horrible drivers on this earth and every other planet without number.

18. I've learned that Dan is hilarious with babies. He said to Zayden the other day as he was getting him out of the highchair, "Alright, listen up....we need to talk. What do you want to do today?" Zayden is 8 months old.

19. Not everything needs a plan and a minute by minute schedule. (oh but I love it when they do!)

20. Prayer works and I am glad I know that.

21. Some people get annoyed that I use coupons and try to only buy what's on sale. To them I say, I'm annoyed that you don't.

22. Forgiveness is huge. "The past can affect your future if you let it."

23. I can find lots of ways to procrastinate. (Like blogging about 26 life lessons when I should be planning a Sunday School lesson.)

24. Mom's are great, aren't they? Oh man, where would I be without my mom? My husband would be eating mac and cheese everyday (instead of every other day) & I wouldn't have a bargain shopping buddy. Plus all those other things she taught me like manners & using a dryer sheet to get the static off my dress.

25. Guilt will eat you alive. Nothing causes more shame, anxiety, or remorse than living with a guilty conscience.

26. Dr Pepper + Reeses Peanut Butter Cup=delicious!

No comments: